Whether you call these Chocolate Saltine Toffee, Saltine Bark or Cracker Candy, one thing is for certain – THESE ARE LIKE CRACK!
Nobody needs to know how incredibly simple and quick Sweet & Saltines are to make – it’ll be our secret! The sweet, salty and crunchy goodness will have people raving about your kitchen prowess and bowing down to you as if you are the goddess of all things amazing.
So without further ado…
- 40 (ish) Saltine Crackers
- 1 Cup Butter
- 1 Cup Brown Sugar
- 1½ Cups Semi Sweet Chocolate Chips
- Line a cookie sheet with foil and spray liberally with non-stick spray (do NOT skip this step – you will hate yourself)
- Arrange saltines, top down, in a single layer
- Preheat oven to 425º
- Melt butter and brown sugar and boil it until it turns a wonderful caramel colour, about 5 minutes
- Remove from heat – pour carefully and evenly over the crackers. You may need to spread the caramel with a knife to ensure even coverage, but do so gently to avoid disturbing the placement of the crackers
- Transfer the pan to the oven and bake for 3 – 5 minutes until bubbly. (Watch carefully because this can go from so good to so bad quickly)
- Remove from oven and sprinkle chocolate chips evenly
- Return to the oven for about 30 seconds to melt the chocolate
- Spread melted chocolate chips ensuring all of the crackers are covered – at this point, you can also sprinkle the chocolate with a flaky salt like Maldon
- Place in the freezer for 15 to 20 minutes to harden in to one big sheet
- Break or cut in to pieces and serve
Now stand back and prepare to be adored. And if by any slim chance there happens to be some left, they can be stored in an airtight container.