TIME – THE CURRENCY OF LIFE …
…the 86,400 seconds that is deposited in to our daily bank account to use as we see fit. We must be cognizant and live in the present, on today’s deposit – there is no carryover; unused seconds are lost forever.
We have all been guilty of squandering time – whether in a job we detest, doing things we hate or being with people who do not fill our emotional bank account. We often get caught up in the mundane like the hamster who spins endlessly on a wheel. We must be ever vigilant lest we let other people spend our time for us.
TIME IS A NON RENEWABLE RESOURCE
When we’re young, we feel immortal…our time is wasted with people of no real value while being engaged in activities that have no bearing on our future.
Scott Burns, author of The Household Economy, has this to say:
“We need time. We need time to work, to eat, to sleep, and to accomplish all the daily chores of living. We also need time to know and understand our mates, our children, and our friends. Most of our relationships, in fact, require more time than we have, and it is difficult to avoid the feeling that we could never have enough. Nor is our list of demands on our time complete.”
Once we reach a “certain age” or when something catastrophic happens to someone we love, we begin to ponder the costs of past relationships and experiences. Suddenly we realize that we have less days ahead of us than behind us and we can no longer tolerate wasting our seconds with people who spend more time talking about negatives than positives. We realize that we would rather be with people who are always trying to do better or get better – people who inspire us. We crave moments with those who are enthusiastic and passionate about what matters to them because in turn, we are inspired.
All too often, we find ourselves in the company of people who suck the joy out of our daily existence, like a vampire does his victim. Unfortunately, our daily habits become so ingrained that we become complacent about who and how we spend our valuable time.
TIME YOU ENJOY WASTING IS NOT WASTED TIME…
Any activity that is undertaken with purpose and intention, has meaning in your life and you consider joyful and exciting is definitely NOT a waste of time. But there are many frivolous and silly things we do that waste this precious time we have on earth . So how do you place a value on time? Whether you want more wealth, friendship or freedom, it comes down to how you spend your time.
While it may be entirely subconscious, here are 13 things that fritter away this valuable commodity and we must stop doing NOW.
- Comparing yourself to others – be inspired, but compete with yourself
- Dwelling on past mistakes – everyone makes them…learn and grow from them
- Worrying – it gets you nowhere…start working towards a solution
- Waiting for something to happen – the world is not going to wait for you…go out make it happen
- Caring what others think – it doesn’t matter…stay true to yourself and be proud of who you are
- Complaining – the only reason the “squeaky wheel gets the oil” is because no one wants to hear it
- Indecision – usually stems from fear…buck up, you know what decision you should make
- Playing romantic games – just tell them! If they’re not interested, you can move on
- Procrastinating – do not put off till tomorrow what you can do today
- Being glued to your phone – not only is it rude, you tend to miss what is going on in the world around you
- Hitting the SNOOZE button – get your lazy ass out of bed…you set the alarm for a reason
- Holding grudges – while you may be tempted to, forgive…people are born to be amazing, not perfect
- Hanging out with negative people – eliminate the toxic energy around you…attitude is contagious
Time lost cannot be regained, so cherish it. Know your values and priorities and make deliberate choices on how you spend it. Be ever present in your life and if nothing else, keep these bits of valuable advice in mind:
- treat those you care about with love and you will find that you are lovable too…
- the people you take for granted today may be the ones you need tomorrow…never be too busy for those who matter most…
- when done with the right people, the most ordinary things become extraordinary…
- a healthy relationship will never require you to sacrifice your other important relationships, your dignity or your dreams…
- surround yourself with only those who are going to lift you higher…
- listen to the special few who encourage you to do what you know in your heart is right…